Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Fantasy Football

So I decided to talk some fantasy football today. Last year I came in first in a league with my friends, and I came in second in a strangers league. I personally think I'm pretty good at fantasy football, the only reason, I'm good is because I do a lot of research.
Last year, my strategy was get runningbacks. At the end of the season, my roster for my friends league looked like this:
Matt Stafford
Carson Palmer
Ray Rice
Chris Johnson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Willis McGahee
Hakeem Nicks
C.J. Spiller
Jimmy Graham
Marques Colston
Dwayne Bowe
Laurent Robinson
Torrey Smith
Demaryius Thomas
Evan Royster
Danny Woodhead
Giants D/ST
Dan Bailey
Ryan Grant
(Adrian Peterson)*
(DeMarco Murray)*
*Peterson and Murray were put on IR last year, so I released them. They would of most likely been on my roster at the end of the season.
Last year I tried my best to stack up on runningbacks. I traded eleven times. At the beginning of the season I traded for Calvin Johnson, then traded him away that week.
The first of my methods is buy and sell. Buy a great player and then sell him, at his highest point. It is a lot like buying stocks. When you see potential you buy, and when you see them drawing even, you sell. I sent Calvin Johnson, Shonn Greene, Michael Turner, and received Maurice Jones-Drew, Adrian Peterson, and Hakeem Nicks. Before I traded him he had eight touchdowns through four games. In the next twelve games he had eight touchdowns.
This year I drafted a lot of good wide receivers. In one of my leagues I drafted A.J. Green, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith (CAR), Eric Decker, Malcom Floyd, Michael Floyd, Doug Baldwin, and I traded for Rueben Randle. The key point is I drafted smart. In the second round, players like Andre Johnson, Greg Jennings, Ryan Matthews, and Mike Wallace were available. I went for A.J. Green because he has more physical tools then the receivers available and two because he outproduced most of the players available. In the fourth round, Roy Helu, Steve Smith, Dez Bryant, Darren Sproles, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Mark Ingram were available. I took the producer Steve Smith. He outproduced both receivers (Brandon Marshall and A.J. Green) I took before him. In the fifteenth round players like Devery Henderson, Delone Carter, Dan Bailey, Doug Baldwin, Rob Bironas, and LaMichael James were available. I took Doug Baldwin, a guy who went undrafted last year and still placed 4th in yardage , 4th in catches, and 6th in touchdowns among rookies. Devery Henderson is also a good pick because of the loss of Robert Meachem.
The key for drafting is to look for production and not look at the best player available on auto pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment